This page last updated 10-Mar-2011
Where is Euxton and how to find your way around MAPS
Euxton Village | Euxton Rail | Former ROF site | Buckshaw Village |
Euxton has its own Council named Euxton Parish Council and the village is an area within the Chorley Borough, part of Lancashire County Council.
Euxton Balshaw Lane railway station was re-opened after a gap of some 30 years in 1997. It is on the Preston - Wigan West Coast Main Line. In the near future, proposed for 2009, there will be a second station built, which will serve Euxton North and the new Buckshaw Village development, this will be on the Preston - Manchester line.
Euxton Hall (this link takes you to Euxton St Mary's Church parish history which discusses Euxton Hall) was a significant stately residence which is now a private hospital, and is half it's former glory, with the second story being removed in the latter half of the twentieth century along with its grand colonnade. In front of Euxton Hall is an area of land which is owned by the company which runs the private hospital but is in the long-term tenancy of Euxton Parish Council since 1999 when it was turned in to a Millennium Green for the year 2000. See Millennium Green news.
Balshaw Lodge is now a private property, it has in recent years been renovated and added to. The Lodge was originally built as guest lodgings for the Euxton Hall. Euxton Hall Gate House can be seen at the bottom of the brow by Chapel Brook Bridge, near the parish church.
There was a large Royal Ordnance Factory (ROF Chorley) built in Euxton in the build up to World War II. At its peak the factory employed over 40,000 people and had its own railway station. It was probably the biggest munitions filling factory in the World and, it is said, that the bouncing bombs used in the Dambusters Raid were made there. ROF Chorley later came under the ownership of British Aerospace and over recent years was closed down in sections with the land being sold. The last employees of the last units on site leaving at the end of 2007. In early 2000 parts of the former ROF Chorley site were effectively flattened and sanitised, so the land could be transformed into the new Buckshaw Village.
The former ROF Chorley sports ground is now used by Bolton Wanderers Football Club, an English Premiership football team, as its training headquarters.
The village is also home to Euxton Villa Football Club, Euxton Cricket Club and has a thriving girls football community in Euxton Girls Football Club.
Buckshaw Village is a new residential and industrial area between the towns of Chorley and Leyland in Lancashire, the original area of Buckshaw being part of Euxton. It is one of the largest urban development sites in the North West of England. It is the largest brownfield regeneration scheme in the whole of Europe.
Buckshaw Village is currently split with sections in three Parish and Borough boundaries. Matrix Park and much of the north west side of the village is in Leyland (South Ribble Borough Council) and a few homes on the Eastern side fall within the Whittle-le-Woods parish boundary. The majority of the homes will be in the parish of Euxton.
The new development is taking place on the former site of the Royal Ordnance Factory (ROF) Chorley, and covers several square kilometres. The area of land was known as Buckshaw, before it was requisitioned by the MOD in the 1930s which contained two listed buildings that the ROF had a duty of care over. The smaller being the Old Worden Hall, which has recently been redeveloped by the Maysand Group (this link takes you to a Maysand Group case study on the Worden Hall restoration). Old Worden Hall was the ancestral seat of a branch of the Farrington family, who later built and moved to Worden Hall in Worden Park, Leyland. The other is Buckshaw Hall, this was built in the 1650s for the Robinson family.
Buckshaw Village is being developed in line with sustainable development principles and aims to transform the 'brownfield' former munitions site. All landscaping is designed so that no earth is transported off-site. The top layers of soil material were mounded and using recycled garden waste combined with sandy clay loam, to produce compost, which was then spread over the mounds to produce woodland areas and green public spaces.
The site has a specific designed sustainable urban drainage systems for storm water drainage which ensures no discharge leaves the site into neighbouring water courses. Measures include roadside verge soakaways and the use of retention ponds which are fully integrated into the landscaping.
There is also an eco-friendly village built in conjunction with scientists from University of Manchester, who are testing various experimental and environmentally friendly principles. The homes will use a variety of energy sources, from geo-thermal and solar power to wind energy. The scheme is now a show village after opening on 25 May 2006.
The transport strategy for this new large village complex incorporates sustainable principles with cycle lanes and public transport included in the masterplan. Improvements to the neighbouring M6 and M61 junctions have already been made.
Road connections nearby include the motorways M6 and M61, as well as the A6 and A49 roads. A new railway station originally due to open in December 2008 but which has now been delayed until 2009 is proposed on the Manchester to Preston railway line between Leyland and Chorley, ensuring that the area will be very popular to new residents and businesses. The new railway station will be situated opposite Runshaw College.
A bus service run jointly by John Fishwick and Stagecoach offers connections to Chorley, Leyland and Preston on route number 109.
The developers of Buckshaw Village have incorporated an extensive cycle network into the masterplan and were awarded the 2005 Sustrans National Cycle Network Award for Excellence for Developer Infrastructure. Buckshaw Village forms part of the National Cycle Route 55 of the National Cycle Network.
Amenities include a village centre with shops and all-weather sports pitches with future plans including a community centre and primary school.
Commercial - Two halves of the development are separated by a major new road called Central Avenue. To the west is an industrial and commercial centre known as Matrix Business Park. Planning permission was granted in January 2007 for Buckshaw Village's first pub which will be situated in Matrix Park.
Another major road named Buckshaw Avenue has been built running West-East through Buckshaw Village connecting Central Avenue to the A6 and opened to the public in May 2007.
A new industrial development called Revolution Park by property developers HelioSlough, plans were announced in February 2006. The 30 hectare site is accessed via Buckshaw Avenue and is situated in the south-east portion of the Buckshaw Village site. This is adjacent to the 2½ hectare plot occupied by Lex Auto Logistics' new distribution centre completed in late 2006.
Another commercial development by HelioSlough called Buckshaw Link is scheduled for land west of Revolution Park. A number of warehouse and industrial units are planned with four acres of land set aside for a pub, hotel and car showroom.
Housing - Up to 2000 new housing units will be being built by various house builders including Redrow, Barratt Homes, Persimmon and Rowland Homes. The homes are mainly targeted at the family market but many of the new homes are also specifically aimed at first-time buyers with measures such as shared ownership schemes. Additionally, a joint venture between the Hica Group and Caddick Group sees the construction of a new retirement village designed to accommodate 200 homes aimed at over 55's. This will be situated to the west of Central Avenue adjacent to the former BAe Systems buildings.
Euxton location map and an Euxton road map can be seen here - Maps
Most of the photographs below are linked to articles on this website if you click them they will direct you there, they all have commentary text if you place your mouse over them.
BUILDINGS AND HOUSES OF INTEREST AROUND EUXTON
The Bobbin Shop
The factory was built in the 1800’s and then rebuilt in 1851 as a Spinning Mill. The boiler exploded in 1852 and two workers were killed, one aged 12 and the other 17. In the 1920’s the mill converted into a weaving mill producing Gingham fabric. The factory was closed in 1940 after being hit by a bomb.
Pincock Spinning Mill
The spinning mill was built in 1792 and closed in 1892. The factory was reopened as a weaving mill in 1896 to produce sateens, velveteens and bedford cords, brocades and fancies. The mill closed in 1934 and reopened in 1940 producing checks, tablecloths and linings until it closed in 1954. The site became company called Xelflex until 2006 when it closed.
The viaduct was built in brick in 1890’s to carry the slow line trains 80 feet high over the river Yarrow, to replace an old wooden trestle bridge of which little is known. The main line trains still operate.
The Bugle Inn on Wigan Road could date back before the 1767 the date stone reads, as there are listings under an assortment of spellings ‘Bogarts’ ‘Bogars’ and ‘Buggards’. It is said that the name of the existing property could have been changed or the house was re-built replacing the old building and the name adapted. Today the building is a small garage car sales.
Anderton Arms, now Papa Luigi’s
A 17 th century built tavern originally know as the Anderton Arms became Papa Luigi’s around 1980. The buildings’ appearance has changed over the years and more recently in 1988 after a serious fire.
Originally acquired and developed as an accommodation centre for the workers at the Royal Ordnance Factory on the outbreak of World War II, it was never required for its intended purpose. In 1942 it was home to the 127th Replacement Battalion of the United States Air Force, who further developed the buildings. The American troops gave the centre its name of Washington Hall because the land forming its North West boundary was at the time called German Lane, which they changed to Washington Lane.
Between 1946 and 1948 the centre became home to repatriated troops from Japanese prisoner of war camps to recoup and rehabilitate. In 1948 the centre became the property of the Ministry of Education to use as a teacher training collect to retrain teachers returning from service with the armed forces.
From 1954 to 1958 the centre accommodated the training of Royal Air Force mobile fire columns as part of a Ministry of Defence emercency programme. The Auxiliary Fire Service continued the use of the centre until 1964 when the premises were purchased by Lancashire County Council as the Fire Service Training School.
Set back on the corner of Balshaw Lane and Wigan Road is the detached brick built guest house used by the visitors to Euxton Hall. It was built for the Anderton’s and it bears their crest on the front.
On Wigan Road a little past Balshaw villa is South View a 17th century built stone cottage, now modernised its external appearance altered slightly.
Daisy Hill Cottages
Near Euxton Methodist Church on Wigan Road is Daisy Hill Cottages built in the 18 th century.
Waterside House and Riverside Cottage
Following footpath no.9 down the Yarrow Valley you pass by this house which is now modernised but was formerly used for storing and drying materials for the paper mill which was nearby and now known as Riverside Cottage.
Armetriding House has a date stone of 1570.
Opposite the Pincock Factory, now Xelflex is Old Dawbers Lane which up to the early 1900’s was part of the Dawbers Lane until a bypass was built. Castle Houses are on Old Dawbers Lane and one of these used to be a primary school.
Heading towards Shaw Green, before the motorway bridge, is Dower House. Probably built in the 19 th century it is thought this may have been the proposed entrance drive to Euxton Hall until an alternative grand drive was built later.
Fir Tree House
This house is the starting point for footpath no.10 just past the motorway bridge and is a short distance from the entrance to the drive leading back to Euxton Hall.
An 18 th century farmhouse with a date stone of 1768 situated on Dawbers Lane between Dower House and Primrose Row.
A row of stone terraced cottages built as hand-loom weavers cottages.
An 18th century country house considerably enlarged from 1850 by William Anderton who had built a new entrance drive which began at Chapel Bridge on Wigan Road besides the carriage drive which opened on to Dawbers Lane, near Peacock House. Next to the Hall is a Chapel, now disused. The Hall is now a private hospital and the grounds in front of the hall is now the Millennium Green.
This open parkland area was opened in July 2000 by the then Chairman of Euxton Parish Council Simon Wellerd and previous years Chairman Geoff Witts (deceased 2007). It was proposed as a celebration gift to the people of Euxton for the New Millennium.
The open land faced by Euxton Hall has been enhanced for the benefit of residents of the village to use for recreation and walking. The initial stage of the project was to open up the land to users not only able bodied but wheelchair bound by constructing a perimeter path. The addition of seats and major planting followed consisting of new native trees, later flowering shrub plants and spring bulbs.
One dead tree located on the perimeter of the Green was used to create a wood sculpture which attracts great interest.
The village stocks, once located at the top of Bank Lane were relocated due to road widening and have been restored to their original looks and sited by the sculpture.
A recent addition to the Green is a feature in recognition of the Queens Golden Jubilee. Built in her 50 th year of her reign 2002, it incorporates a seat, dry stone wall containing plaques mounted with images drawn by local children depicting four events occurring during the Queens 50 years on the throne.
The Railway on Wigan Road located just short of the Euxton boundary at Pack Saddle Bridge has gone through major changes over the years. Originally called the Railway it then changed its name to the Royal Ordnance after the Royal Ordnance Factory in the village. Later it dropped the royal and became known at the Ordnance. After alterations it reverted back to its original name The Railway. A further refurbishment project in 2007 saw the Railway re-incarnated into a gasto pub - link here.
The Bay Horse Bass pub at the main Runshaw Lane and Wigan Road crossroads has also undergone major refurbishments in recent years and is well worth a visit.
St Mary’s Catholic Club situated next to the Church of St Mary’s is a very popular venue providing functions in it large dance hall.
Opposite St Mary's also on Wigan Road is Papa Luigis. This was previously known as the Anderton Arms and the transformation to this Italian restaurant took place over 25 years ago.
Only a brief walk down in to Chapel Brook and up the other side is the Euxton Parish Institute and War Memorial Club was built in 1926 in remembrance of those from the parish who died in the war. Still referred to as the silver slipper by some of the locals, this was a wooden hut which burnt to the ground in 1985 when it was rebuilt to its present status having games room and concert room it proves popular with locals and visitors.
Turning off Wigan Road down Balshaw Lane and along a bit is The Talbot pub, this was very popular with the American troops during the was as it was the nearest to where they were based at Washington Hall. Many locals still refer to the Talbot as Smokie Joes, as it was named for a while, and inside of this large pub the walls have many interesting pictures of a by-gone time in the village whilst outside is now garden fronted and a display of flowers on the building.
Backtracking down Balshaw Lane and on to Wigan Road at the junction with Dawbers Lane is the Euxton Mills Hotel. This historic building has undergone major refurbishments and is often featured as winners or highly commended in the Lancashire Best Kept Village Competition, for the Adlington Trophy, for the best kept pub in Lancashire. As you leave the village either heading to Coppull or towards Croston you cannot help but be impressed by the abundance of colour which the floral display affords, this attracts many visitors to the pub besides visiting for the home cooked food.
Down Dawbers Lane a while is the Travellers Rest is more on the outskirts of the village and was built in 1750 as three cottages which were transformed in to the pub. It was a popular staging point for coaches from Blakburn and Burnley on the way to Southport. The pub restaurant is still popular with visitors who take this road.
Further down from this road, right on the border of Euxton was the former Cobbler’s Arms which is now a new indian cuisine restaurant named the Blue Elephant offering excellent food and service which is a little different.
Backtracking slightly, on Runshaw Lane is the Plough. This had a complete refurbishment in 2000 but local people still refer to it as Jerry’s as they have done for many years. A very interesting history of the pub can be found on the left hand side of the entrance to the Plough. It has a large garden at the rear and is a popular pub visited by families and offers an extensive food menu.
St Mary’s Catholic Church
Constructed of local stone and designed by E.W. Pugin, St Mary’s Church was opened by the Rev Alexander Goss D.D. the 2 nd Bishop of Liverpool on the 28 TH August 1864. With generous donations from George Garstang and William Ince Anderton.
Euxton Parish Church (formerly Chapel)
As with most churches this has been rebuilt many times. It is thought that about c1573 one of the Molyneux family, whose initials RM are cast over the west doorway, is responsible for it present architectural design. Since then it has had a number of restorations, with a Chancel and vestry added in later years.
The original building was erected about c1840. This larger chapel was built beside the old one, and was opened by Mrs Herbert T Parke on April 2 nd 1902. The original chapel was used for many years but was later replaced in the 1960s with a modern building.
Geoff Witts Memorial, Millennium Green
Primrose Hill Play Area
Princessway Kickabout area
Lucy Branston Play Area and Garden, Greenside
Southport Road shelter/basketball
James Moorcroft Lane Play Area, Balshaw Lane
Greenside Recreation Fields, Greenside
The others below are within Euxton, but are not the Parish Council's:
Milestone Meadow Play Area
Geoff Witts memorial, Millennium Green, Euxton Hall Gardens
The Millennium Green was created from 1999 in time for the the Millennium.
Euxton Parish Council dedicated the Millennium Green to the memory of Councillor Geoff Witts who inaugurated the Green in 2000, served as a Councillor for 32 years and who sadly died July 2007.
There are reports on the recent projects which have taken place on the Green, with photos on the Millennium Green project page.
Primrose Hill Play Area, Primrose Hill Road
This play area is managed by Euxton Parish Council, there is kickabout area behind it.
Princessway Kickabout Area
This recreation space is managed by Euxton Parish Council. It is public open space with an area for sports with a set of goal posts.
Lucy Branston Play Area and Garden, Greenside
This play area is managed by Euxton Parish Council. It has a range of equipment and is set behind a garden area with seats and planters.
Southport Road shelter and basket ball, Southport Road
This open space is managed by Euxton Parish Council, it has a shelter with a basket ball net on it and a village map board with the footpaths on.
James Moorcroft Play Area, Balshaw Lane
This play area is managed by Euxton Parish Council. It has a toddler side, and an older childrens side and a section which is a mini-skatepark.
Greenside Recreation Fields, Greenside
These recreation fields are managed by Euxton Parish Council. The area is public open space with three pitches marked out for organised sports, it has a hard standing area for sports and games and a changing facilities building.
Milestone Meadow estate play area and recreation space
This area is relatively new. It was paid for by the developers of the estate as part of planning their conditions. It was designed through consultation with the residents by Chorley Council sport development officer.
The Cherries play area, off School Lane
This area is was created when The Cherries was built, by the developer who still runs and maintains the play area
Highways Avenue play area, at the end of Highways Avenue
This area is a Chorley Council play area.
Badgers Walk play area, Badgers Walk estate, off Euxton Lane
This area is was created when Badgers Walk was built, by the developer who still runs and maintains the play area